Degree Programs at PSU
Portland State offers a wide variety of degree programs suited to the multi-disciplinary demands of a career in transportation. Curious about the courses offered? See an overview of graduate courses in transportation at Portland State.
Undergraduate Degree Programs
Graduate Degree Programs (Professional)
Master of Urban and Regional Planning is a two-year, 72 credit professional degree program designed for those interested in working as professional planners.
Master of Engineering in Civil and Environmental Engineering is a non-research based professional degree designed to put you on track for careers shaping the future of transportation with local governments, consulting firms and other organizations.
Graduate Degree Programs (Research)
The Master of Science in Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Master of Urban Studies are suited for those seeking careers in a broad range of transportation professions or in academia.
Graduate Dual Degree Programs in Transportation
For those seeking an interdisciplinary degree, two dual degree programs are complementary with the Master's of Urban and Regional Planning program: Public Health, and Civil and Environmental Engineering (with a transportation focus). Students should connect with advisors, as dual degree options require careful planning. Email email@example.com if you are interested in learning more about these programs.
Graduate Certificate in Transportation
The two disciplines, planning and engineering, also collaborate to offer a Graduate Certificate in Transportation for established professionals looking for a deeper understanding of transportation disciplines.
Doctoral Degree Programs
Our Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Ph.D. in Urban Studies help shape researchers into the top experts in their fields. Portland State students publish as lead authors at a greater rate than most universities and are disproportionately represented at forums including the annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies.
Graduate Courses in Transportation at PSU
An overview of transportation-focused courses provided by Portland State University.
Graduate Courses offered by Civil & Environmental Engineering, Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science (MCECS)
- CE 507 Transportation Research Communication Seminar (1)
- CE 510 Computer Applications in CEE (4)
- CE 510 Transportation Network Analysis (4)
- CE 510 Transportation and Health (4)
- CE 514 Transportation Seminar (1)
- CE 550 Transportation Safety Analysis (4)
- CE 553 Freight Transportation and Logistics (4)
- CE 554 Introduction to Multimodal Transportation Engineering Data Analysis (4)
- CE 555 Intelligent Transportation Systems (4)
- CE 556 Traffic Engineering (4)
- CE 558 Public Transportation Systems (4)
- CE 559 Transportation Operations (4)
- CE 562 Traffic Engineering Applications and Signal Timing (4)
- CE 563 Transportation and Logistics Optimization and Modeling (4)
- CE 593 Design and Operation of Bicycle and Pedestrian Infrastructure (4)
- CE 595 Sustainable Transportation in the Netherlands (4)
- CE 596 Theories and Methods of Travel Behavior (4)
- CE 598 Travel Survey and Data Analysis (4)
Graduate Courses offered by Toulan School of Urban Studies & Planning, College of Urban and Public Affairs (CUPA)
- USP 510 Public Transportation Planning and Policy (3)
- USP 511 Pedestrian and Bicycle Planning Lab (2)
- USP 514 Transportation Seminar (1)
- USP 537 Economics of Urban Transportation (3) [Odd years - Winter]
- USP 543 Geographic Applications in Planning (3)
- USP 544 Urban Transportation Planning (3)
- USP 556 Urban Transportation: Problems and Policies (3)
- USP 565 Pedestrian and Bicycle Planning (3)
- USP 570 Transportation and Land Use (3)
- USP 578 Impact Assessment (3)
- USP 579 State and Local Public Finance (3)
- USP 582 Sustainable Transportation (3)
- USP 583 Transportation Finance (3) [Even years - Winter]
- USP 587 Travel Demand Modeling (3)
- USP 591 Geographic Information Systems I (4)
- USP 592 Geographic Information Systems II (4)
- USP 654 Data Analysis II (4)
- USP 655 Advanced Data Analysis: Structural Equation Modeling (3)
- USP 656 Advanced Data Analysis: Multilevel Regression (3)
- USP 657 Advanced Data Analysis: Discrete Choice Modeling (3)
Graduate Certificates at PSU
GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN TRANSPORTATION
Increasingly, transportation professionals need multi-disciplinary knowledge and skills to anticipate social, environmental, and technological trends and incorporate them into intelligently-integrated transportation systems. The Graduate Certificate in Transportation at Portland State will offer you advanced education at the intersection of urban planning and civil engineering for those seeking to build upon their knowledge and credentials to move people and goods safely.
Students in the program can choose among a wide range of relevant courses in transportation planning and engineering to develop their analytical, practical, and problem-solving skills. With your Certificate, you’ll leave prepared to guide progressive, forward-thinking initiatives in your urban setting. This certificate program is 21 credits and can be completed at your own pace. Learn more about the Transportation Graduate Certificate at PSU.
GRADUATE CERTIFICATES THAT COMPLEMENT THE TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY
Portland State also offers other certificates that can support transportation professionals in developing complementary skillsets to supplement their field, fill in knowledge gaps and make them more versatile, qualified professionals. Earning these certificates typically involve at 20 academic credits or more. See all of the PSU Graduate Certificates.
- URBAN STUDIES
- INTERDISCIPLINARY SKILLS
PSU also offers a flexible option for professionals who aren't looking for a full graduate certificate program. These professional certificates are usually delivered in the form of a concentrated course lasting four to six weeks. They are skills-based, and do not require a university degree of any level. These certificates cover topics such as data analytics, design thinking and innovation, and emergency management and community resilience. Explore PSU's range of Professional Certificate Programs.