Transportation defines Portland, Oregon. Portland State University shapes the transportation professionals who, in turn, shape their city and cities across the world.
Our students conduct cutting-edge research under the guidance of the world’s foremost transportation research faculty at PSU in the (CUPA) Toulan School of Urban Studies & Planning at CUPA and the department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at MCECS.
We recognize the importance of learning by doing. Students work on real transportation system projects with partners in our community. These partnerships lead to internships and rewarding careers after graduation. Many of our center's programs are focused on providing students with on-the-job experience and support, including:
- Transportation Undergraduate Research Fellowship (TURF) summer program,
- Initiative for Bicycle and Pedestrian Innovation scholarships,
- An internship annually funded by one of our key partners, Alta Planning + Design,
- Graduate research assistant opportunities,
- Dissertation research fellowships and scholarships through our National Institute for Transportation and Communities (NITC) program, and
- Our annual transportation study abroad program in the Netherlands.
In addition to the above programs, we provide financial support to PSU's transportation student group, Students in Transportation Engineering and Planning (STEP), to present their work at conferences like the annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board (TRB). We also host visiting scholars to bring international expertise to our students at Portland State.
PSU Transportation Alumni
Out in the world, PSU transportation alumni are changing the way we think about transportation as leading academics and practitioners. A sample of some of the organizations our alumni are currently working at:
- Cities and counties: Portland, Seattle, New York, Multnomah County
- Transit agencies: TriMet, Salem-Keizer Transit, Chicago Transit Authority
- Regional agencies: Metro (Oregon), the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (California), the Southern California Association of Governments
- State agencies: Oregon Department of Transportation, Washington State Department of Transportation, CalTrans, Oregon Health Authority
PRIVATE + NONPROFIT
Alta Planning + Design, SERA Architects, CH2M, Kittelson & Associates, Inc., Lancaster Engineering, Nelson\Nygaard, Oregon Public Health Institute, DKS Associates, Resource Systems Group, Inc., Fregonese Associates and ICLEI.
RESEARCH + EDUCATION
Our doctoral alums are working as researchers, consultants and faculty members in places such as: University of Arizona, University of British Columbia, McGill University and the University of Sydney.
Research Faculty at PSU
Transportation problems don’t stay between the lines. As a transportation student at Portland State University, you’ll work with experts in every field that contributes to our knowledge of transportation, including engineering and planning but also fields such as environmental science, psychology, geography and computer science. Our core transportation faculty, including Jennifer Dill, Christopher Monsere, Kelly Clifton, Miguel Figliozzi, Jenny Liu, Aaron Golub, Avi Unnikrishnan and Liming Wang, are regarded as national and international experts in their fields.